Mac McCool - Children's Book Illustrations and Graphic Novels

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Hattie Big Sky -- WOW!

One of the joys of an SCBWI conference is discovering new and exciting books. A year ago, Flipped, by Wendelin Van Draanen (who is organizing this amazing campaign, by the way!) and her series, Shredderman and Sammy Keyes, were it. Last Winter, The Invention of Hugo Cabret (Brian Selznick) and Letters from Rapunzel (Sara Lewis Holmes) highlighted my reading season. Now, I just finished Firegirl (Tony Abbott) and Hattie Big Sky (Kirby Larson), and it’s no wonder they got awards and honors (a Golden Kite Award and a Newbery Book Honor respectively). Kirby Larson's writing is like music, with a graceful melody, a well-paced story tempo, a masterful ensemble of voices and emotional chords. Just terrific! Onto more great books!...

7 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Oh yes, a big "ME TOO!" to your thoughts about Hattie Big Sky. I just finished reading it this morning, and I feel as if I KNOW Hattie. It's excellent.

8/21/07, 9:09 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Oh, and Mac, your mention of Wendelin prompted me to add Exercise the Right to Read to my Very Big Good Deed List. Thank you!

8/21/07, 9:27 AM  
Blogger Mac McCool said...

Many thanks, Sara!!!

8/21/07, 11:17 AM  
Blogger Kirby Larson said...

Mac,

I am honored you loved Hattie Big Sky but must clarify that she did not win a Golden Kite Award. Tony Abbott's FIREGIRL did win and I must concur that it was a poignant and touching book.

Here's to next year's SCBWI LA conference when I will absolutely be in costume for Saturday night's bash!

Kirby

8/21/07, 7:19 PM  
Blogger Mac McCool said...

Kirby -- Sorry for my case of Awards-Confusion.
;-)
Hattie is GREAT and deserves top recognitions! Error fixed, though! And yes, can't wait till next year's SCBWI-L.A. conference!

8/22/07, 5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished "The invention of Hugo Cabaret"! What a fun book. It was a great blend of novel and graphic novel into one.

8/22/07, 2:28 PM  
Blogger Rita said...

Wow, so I'm not just getting graphic novel recommendations here. Sweet! :)

9/6/07, 1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home