Mac McCool - Children's Book Illustrations and Graphic Novels

Friday, August 17, 2007

Rediscovering David Wiesner's Flotsam


I'm just getting back to reading some David Wiesner picture books. His storytelling and art are such inspirations! Flotsam is simply amazing. How he sometimes uses the images on the page as either extension of or a mirror of the reader. How he introduces depth past the flatness of the page to telescope back in time, but also in space in deep-focus layouts. And boy, framing techniques in the hands of master – when the images go back to the old days, viewed with the microscope, the round framing suggests closing the circle and repeating the cycle. And need I say impeccable page turns, solid pacing, clear staging and acting, great story, humorful whimsy, and a beautiful theme of connecting beyond space and time?!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mac McCool,

I saw you speak at the SCBWI Conference a few weeks ago on Graphic Novel Writing. I've just gotten through my notes and have checked out your blog!

I love David Wiesner's work. Flotsom is fantastic. I also really enjoy "The Three Pigs" and how Weisner uses the space betweent he panels of his illustrations.

8/18/07, 12:11 PM  
Blogger Mac McCool said...

Ingrid, thanks for attending my session. I hope you enjoyed it. I agree with you that Wiesner's Three Pigs is terrific too. So inventive!

8/19/07, 2:31 PM  
Blogger Leeza Hernandez Illustrator said...

Hey I just bought Flotsam and Tuesday today!!! He's a genius that bloke.

BTW: think.jot.draw is selling like hot cakes — it's a great and oh-so-handy book. I love it!

8/25/07, 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home