Mac McCool - Children's Book Illustrations and Graphic Novels

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Another Incredible SCBWI Summer Conference Ends

I certainly wasn't going to disobey Lin's orders.

Each year, when the faculty marches across the stage and stops at the microphone to say their names, they must also offer one word to the audience. Last year, I had picked an obvious one for me: "comics." This year, I wanted "graphic novels," but it exceeded the one-word limit. With rumors that Lin Oliver has her finger on a giant glowing red "Eject" button that fires off disobeying faculty off the stage and into the hotel pool, I played it safe! So what was my word? "Tickle." It captured the spirit of this SCBWI Summer Conference, as awakening, stimulating, and plain ol'fun! And it didn't land me in the pool!

This year again, I got to meet some super people and catch up with some wonderful friends, from my reviewees (thanks for giving me a chance to tip-toe into your creative process and offer some feedback -- best luck again) to my favorite bunch of merry poets and artists! So many laughs! Too little sleep! To all the devoted organizers: HUGE THANKS!!! What an incredible four days! It will take as many to recover.

11 Comments:

Blogger cindy said...

hi mac! it's cindy from the scbwi conference. so glad i found you and i'm gonna link ya. good luck with your wip--may you finish soon!! =D

8/5/08, 9:11 PM  
Blogger Joey said...

Hey Mac. Sorry I couldn't be there this year, had to pull out last minute. Glad to hear it was a great conference.

8/6/08, 10:50 AM  
Blogger Stephanie J. Blake said...

Great fun! So good to meet you this year.

8/6/08, 7:13 PM  
Blogger Hardygirl said...

Wasn't L.A. fun? It was great to meet you!

Sarah Frances Hardy

8/9/08, 12:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice seeing you again. Glad we were able to spend some time together. Hope to see you at a local SCBWI conference soon.

8/10/08, 9:00 PM  
Blogger Katie Anderson said...

How have I never seen your blog?! I think I've only seen your cute website!

It was great to see you again. SF and I enjoyed our impromtu breakfast with you. The kids are back in school and I am back in the saddle ready to work on the revisions to my GN. Thank you for all of your continued encouragement!!!

Keep in touch :-)

Katie

8/11/08, 11:37 AM  
Blogger Mac McCool said...

Cindy, Joey, Stephanie, Frances Sarah, Jill, & Katie! Thanks for all the kind words! Best of luck with your own projects, and stay BIC!
;-D

8/12/08, 9:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Mac!
It was great meeting you at the SCBWI!!!! I came home so inspired and excited. I've taken heed all your advice, and have been working every day since. I love your sketches from your website, they are really really great with lots of energy.

8/14/08, 12:02 PM  
Blogger Jacqui said...

Can I add to the chorus of lovely to meet yous?

8/14/08, 7:14 PM  
Blogger Rita said...

It is always a blast to hang out with you. Good times!!! I now have conference photos up at my blog. Check 'em out if you have a chance, and I hope to see you again soon!

8/15/08, 3:36 AM  
Blogger Mac McCool said...

Jacqui, OF COURSE, you're welcome to join in the chorus of friends here! I too was really super happy to meet you and the red beats (or whatever your band of merry writers is calling itself -- any final name?!)

Rita, your photos are FANTASTIC, and here's what I hope is a working link so everyone can see how goofy and happy our conference got! Thanks for sharing!!

8/16/08, 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home