Mac McCool - Children's Book Illustrations and Graphic Novels

Monday, December 11, 2006

Listening to Story Principles

For crafting graphic novel stories that share much with film, I have found some books by screenwriting consultants useful for proofing plot and scene structures, character transformations, and more. Even better, I enjoy the convenience and efficiency of listening to them via iTunes audiobook downloads (just type the names of the writers in the "Search" field). Besides one of my long-time favorites, namely Robert McKee's Style, Structure, Substance, and the Principles of Screenwriting, presentations by Christopher Vogler (Using Myth to Power Your Story) and Michael Hauge (Screenwriting for Hollywood) offer specific and meaningful tools to revise the elements of stories. Additionally, these three consultants' perspectives create a flexible mix of methods for exploring and reworking your stories.

2 Comments:

Blogger chia said...

Good tip! I still got the mckee audiobook from class way back when. Though for harnessing the power of myth, i usually turn straight to Campbell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces". Check it out if you haven't already. Also, check out Dan Harmon's writing 101 at channel101.com, it's a great little crash course and it taught me ALOT.

12/14/06, 1:12 AM  
Blogger Mac McCool said...

I also listened to The Hero with a Thousand Faces, and found it worthwhile. I'd recommend the book over the audiobook in this case. Campbell obviously brackets his discoveries in Jungian psychology. I found that to be both interesting and limiting. Still a great book for storytellers. Thanks for the Darmon reference (I wasn't familiar with it). :-)

12/14/06, 7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home