Mac McCool - Children's Book Illustrations and Graphic Novels

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Music Fueling the Emotional Flame on a Long-Winded Project

Another fun use of your iPod and iTunes playlists: to keep the emotional flame of a particular illustration or comics page, I compile playlists with music selections capturing project-specific emotional keys or tones. I have been finding it especially useful to avoid patches of emotional myopia we sometimes encounter on longer projects. For the third page of a 9-page graphic novella I'm currently drawing on Noah's last days, my "Noah-Page3" playlist includes these songs: "Du Bist Überall" by Nena, "Visions of Mother Asia" and "Spellbound" by BlueTonicWorld, "Night Vision" by Suzanne Vega, "Adagio for Strings" by Samuel Barber, "Come What May (Original)" and "One Day I’ll Fly Away" from the Moulin Rouge soundtrack, "Dust" by Mr. Mister, "Sister of Night" by Depeche Mode, and a few more. You can imagine the mood on that page!

3 Comments:

Blogger chia said...

i do the same thing! I have a 9 houir long playlist i've made for hard 8. i dunno how many times i've played through it now.

3/21/07, 2:26 AM  
Blogger Frankie Franco III said...

Cool! I didnt know ya blogged!
Keep an eye on my brother :)

5/5/07, 2:52 PM  
Blogger Mac McCool said...

Your brother's doing great work in my class! It runs in the family!!

5/6/07, 3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home